United Way's VITA Extension and Financial Coaching

VITA Services are extended!


The United Way VITA (Volunteer Income tax Assistance Program) program has reopened their services until August 30, 2019. What does this mean for you? It means if you haven’t filed your 2018 taxes yet or if you need to file an amended return, you can do it! Maybe you filed 2018 but have not filed 2017 or 2016, VITA can help. If you received a letter from the IRS and need help responding to it, they can also help with that. At WHP, we have people who didn’t reconcile their tax credits either because they didn’t know they were supposed to or their tax preparer didn’t understand the forms. If you didn’t reconcile your tax credits, you need to file an amended return. If you need help with the Homestead Property Tax Credit, they can also help with that.

You still need to meet the same requirements for the regular VITA help.

  • income below $54,000 (single or joint)

  • need to have necessary documents to complete a return (e.g. W-s2, 1099s, etc.)

  • must provide photo identification and federal document with SSN visible


Since you are reading this online, you have access to a computer and can schedule your appointment online. That is the best way to schedule an appointment. Click here. You will also need to bring all the documents listed here. Some documents may not be relevant to your situation but if you aren’t sure, bring anything you think would be useful. If you have questions before your appointment, call 734-677-7235.


Myfreetaxes.com is free to anyone whose income is below $66,000. You can file an extension through MyFreeTaxes and finish filing by October 15, 2019. If you owe taxes, the IRS may charge you interest.

Financial Coaching at United Way

In addition to free tax help, United Way staff also provide another financial stability resource, One-on-One Financial Coaching. This service helps people eliminate or reduce debt, improve credit scores and save more money. Answer the questions below to determine if their service is a good fit for you.

Is financial coaching right for you.png

There is a good list of financial resources on their website. Check it out! Here is the flyer you can print out for VITA extended services.

Filing taxes and managing your money are important and your healthcare may depend on being financially responsible and knowledgeable.

United Way of Washtenaw County is located at 2305 Platt Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48104. You can call 734-971-8200 or email liveunited@uwwashtenaw.org.

As always, if you have questions call us at the Washtenaw Health Plan. 734-544-3030 #WeHelpPeople

Ask a question in the comments and we will answer it right away!

Print Friendly and PDF

Subscribe to our blog here!