Get (Free) Help With Your Taxes!

Don't pay to have your taxes prepared!  

You can get free help if you are low income (less than 53,000/year).  

People need help filing their taxes for many reasons. Whatever the reason, there are some great resources.  


The Affordable Care Act requires that most people have health care or they will pay a penalty (shared responsibility payment) unless you qualify for an exemption.  If you had health care through the Marketplace ( make sure you bring your 1095-A with you when you go to file your taxes.  Your 1095-A is available in the Messages section of your Marketplace ( account.  You can also call the Marketplace (1-800-318-2596) and they can give the account holder the information over the phone.  

EXEMPTIONS from the Shared Responsibility Payment

If you are an undocumented immigrant filing taxes using an ITIN number, or if your income is very low, or if your employer insurance was too expensive, you may not have to pay a penalty.  If you are not sure you qualify for an exemption, use the Health Coverage Exemptions tool.  The Exemptions Tool uses your answers to find exemptions that may work for you. It helps you see if you may qualify and tells you how to apply.  If you do qualify, talk to your tax preparer about receiving an exemption.  No tax preparer should ever collect money from you for not having health insurance, only the IRS can collect the shared responsibility payment.  

What Information Do You Need To File Taxes?

Here is a list of documents to bring with you to any tax preparation appointment or gather before you start your tax return online.  Make sure to contact your preparer about any specific requirements for receiving help.

  • Social Security numbers for all family members, photo ID
  • W-2 forms for all jobs worked in the previous year
  • Proof of rent or mortgage and property tax payments
  • Childcare provider's name, address and federal tax ID number
  • Blank, voided check or deposit slip to set up direct deposit of refund
  • 1099 forms for other income, including unemployment, retirement, contract work
  • Social Security Letter(s) or W-2s
  • 1095-A, if you had health care from the Marketplace (
  • Copy of your last year's return (if available)
  • A heating bill from November 2015 - February 2016 or access to your energy bill online
  • Any other tax-related letters or documents

WHERE CAn You go for Free Help? 


FREE income tax preparation assistance from the United Way of Washtenaw County for residents making up to $53,000 in 2016.

Call 734-677-7235 to schedule an appointment or fill out this form.   Meet at United Way, 2305 Platt Rd. Ann Arbor, 48104. 

Many other areas in Michigan have VITA or other tax assistance--use this link to find help in your area.


Do you use a computer?  Do you have access to the computer?  Does your family make $64,000 or less? is a free online service for tax preparation and filing from United Way and H&R Block. provides email, live chat and telephone support in English and Spanish.  80% of people who filed using this service finished in less than 1 hour.  If you do not have a computer or would prefer in-person help, computers are available during open VITA clinic hours. Computers and volunteer assistance available on a first come, first served basis.

Housing Bureau for Seniors Free Tax Clinic

The Housing Bureau for Seniors Tax Clinic is now taking appointments. Tax assistance is provided by trained volunteers and open to individuals of all ages. The volunteers are able to do Federal and Michigan 1040 forms and credits, and amended returns. Assistance completing poverty exemptions and tax deferments to lower property tax bills is available as well. 

  • Call 734-998-9341 to schedule an appointment.  Limited walk-in availability.
  • Appointments are available on Fridays from February 3 to April 7 and the following Wednesdays; February 8, February 15, March 15 and April 5.  


Print Friendly and PDF

Subscribe to our blog here!