People need help filing their taxes for many reasons. Whatever the reason, there are some great resources for getting help filing your taxes.
Remember that the Affordable Care Act requires everyone to have health care coverage for at least 9 months of the year. You may have received from 1095 from your employer, the state of Michigan or the Marketplace. Make sure to add this document to the papers you bring to the tax preparation service.
Here is a list of documents to bring with you to any tax preparation appointment or gather before you start your tax return online:
- Social Security Card for all family members, picture ID for all adults
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in the previous year
- Proof of rent or mortgage and property tax payments
- Childcare provider's name, address and federal tax ID number
- Blank, voided check or deposit slip to set up direct deposit of refund
- 1099 forms for other income, including unemployment or contract work
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) letter
- Copy of your last year's return ( if available)
- Last year's heating bills (11/2014-11/2015)
- Any other tax-related letters or documents
FREE income tax preparation assistance from the United Way of Washtenaw County for residents making up to $53,000.
- Call 734-677-7235 to schedule an appointment or email email@example.com. Appointments are available Thursdays 5:30-8:30pm 2/4/16 to 4/716 and Saturdays 10am-4pm. Meet at United Way, 2305 Platt Rd. Ann Arbor, 48104.
- Call 734-428-7722 to schedule an appointment at Manchester Community Resource Center, 410 City Rd. Manchester, 48158. Appointments are available Mondays 10am-3pm 2/1/16 to 3/21/16.
Many other areas in Michigan have VITA or other tax assistance--use this link to find help in your area.
Do you use a computer? Do you have access to the computer? Does your family make $62,000 or less? Myfreetaxes.com is a free online service for tax preparation and filing from United Way and H&R Block. Myfreetaxes.com provides email, live chat and telephone support in English and Spanish. 80% of people who filed using this service finished in less than 1 hour.
TAX AIDE LOCATOR - FIND AN AGENCY NEAR YOU
AARP Tax Aide offers free tax preparation help to anyone, especially if you’re 50 and older and can’t afford a tax preparation service. Find a location using the Tax Aide Locator below. Washtenaw county locations include the Ann Arbor Community center, Milan Senior Center, Saline Area Senior Center, Ypsilanti District Library and more.
Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County
Limited income senior citizens can call 734-712-0588 to find out more information about how to make an appointment. The program works year-round with community senior centers (Ypsilanti, Chelsea, Dexter, Northfield and Pittsfield Twp.) and senior housing facilities to schedule appointments regarding tax form preparation, Michigan Home Heating Credit, Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit and Michigan and Federal Tax Returns.
U of M Law School Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (UMLS LITC)
UM Law School LITC helps clients resolve issues (issues involving <$50,000) with the IRS. Call 734-936-3535 to see if you are eligible or complete an online client application.