Confused by Medicare? There's Help!

The Affordable Care Act has changed a lot about health care in the last several years, but one program that has seen little change is Medicare. While the program has generally remained the same, many people still have a lot of questions about it. Here are the basics:

  • Most people who have Medicare are seniors, 65 years and over, or disabled.
  • Medicare typically covers 80% of bills, while the individual is responsible for the other 20%.
  • You can have other insurance to supplement your Medicare, including Medicaid if you are income eligible.
  • There are several Parts to Medicare:
    • Part A Hospital Insurance, which helps cover inpatient hospital visits, nursing facility care, hospice care etc.
    • Part B Medical Insurance, which helps cover doctor services, outpatient care, durable medical equipment, preventative care etc.
    • Part C Medicare Advantage, supplemental insurance plans to help cover the 20% of bills that the individual is responsible for.
    • Part D Prescription Coverage, helps pay for prescriptions.
  • Medicare Part B has a premium amount that may be taken directly out of a social security check.
  • There are Medicaid programs to help pay for the Part B premium.

These tips are barely scratching the surface of all there is to know about your Medicare. We are lucky to have a great program to help individuals navigate their own coverage, Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP). There are counselors throughout the Michigan helping Medicare beneficiaries and their families figure it all out.

For an appointment with a MMAP counselor in your area, call 800-803-7174.

--Haley Haddad

2015 income limits for the Medicaid programs to supplement Medicare

2015 income limits for the Medicaid programs to supplement Medicare

Print Friendly and PDF

Subscribe to our blog here!