It's time to review your Medicare Plan!
October 15, 2015 to December 7, 2015, is the annual Medicare Open Enrollment Period. During Open Enrollment you may:
- Change from original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to original Medicare
- Switch Medicare Advantage plans
- Join a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan
- Switch Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans
It is important to review your Part D coverage every year!
Premiums, co-pays and the drugs covered can change from year-to-year, even within the same plan. Your current plan should send you an "Annual Notice of Change" before Open Enrollment that outlines any changes for the next year. Medicare Part D plans are sold and managed by private companies and vary greatly in terms of monthly premiums, annual deductibles, drugs covered and prescription prices.
The Medicare Savings Program may help you pay your Medicare premium, or you may qualify for Medicaid and Medicare which together will cover all your health care costs. To qualify for the Medicare Savings Program you must be low-income and not have many assets. For married couples, your combined income must be less than $1770/month and you must have less than $10,930 in assets. For single people, your income must be less than $1313 and you must have less than $7280 in assets. If you think you qualify, talk to a MMAP (Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program) counselor.
There is help available from a MMAP counselor.*
MMAP offers information and assistance with plan comparisons and enrollment throughout the election period. You can get help from a MMAP counselor by calling the MMAP assistance line at the Area Agency on Aging 1-B (800-803-7174).
*MMAP Counselors are background checked, trained and certified by the State MMAP office and provide confidential unbiased information; they are not connected with any insurance company. MMAP is the State Health Insurance assistance Program (SHIP) for Michigan.
Scheduled Events for Washtenaw County:
- Milan Senior Center Thursday October 29, 9:30am - 3pm
Call 734-508-6229 to reserve a spot.
- Washtenaw ISD Computer Lab - Ann Arbor Wednesday November 11 OR Wednesday December 2, 10am - 7pm
Call 800-852-7795 to reserve a spot.
- Salem-South Lyon District Library Monday November 16, 10am - 2pm
Call 800-852-7795 to reserve a spot.
If you can't make one of the above sessions, you can make an appointment at a partner site. Appointments are scheduled either by the host agency or by calling the Area Agency on Aging 1-B.
Partner Sites where appointments are available in Washtenaw County:
- Catholic Social Services - Ann Arbor 734-712-0523
- Chelsea Senior Center - Chelsea 734-475-9242
- Dexter Senior Center - Dexter 734-426-7737
- Hope Clinic - Ypsilanti 800-852-7795
- Jewish Family Services - Ann Arbor 800-852-7795
- Salem- South Lyon District Library - South Lyon 800-852-7795
- Saline Senior Center - Saline 734-429-9274
- Turner Senior Wellness Program - Ann Arbor 734-764-2556
- Washtenaw Health Plan - Ypsilanti 800-852-7795
It is confusing but there is help! To get help, contact an agency or call MMAP directly. Remember, most people can only change plans during Open Enrollment, October 15, 2015 to December 7, 2015.
And Wish Medicare a Happy Birthday!
Medicare and Medicaid: keeping us healthy for 50 years
On July 30, 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law legislation that established the Medicare and Medicaid programs. For 50 years, these 2 programs have been protecting the health and well-being of millions of American families, saving lives, and improving the economic security of our nation.